Dutch Reformed Church
In the mid-1800’s a Dutch farmer, Adolph van Coller settled in the valley and was granted land. Under the organization of the church, he in turn granted half of his land for the establishment of a village and the building of a church. After the pass was completed, the church was to be built at its northern end and the little village that began to grow around it was named in honour of the Barry family. Thus, a church and a crossroad were responsible for the birth of Barrydale.
Before the church was built, the dominee used to ride by horseback from Swellendam to deliver his services in a farm outhouse. The church was completed in 1877