VISIT

SWELLENDAM

Historic Buildings

In 1743 Swellendam was declared a magisterial district, the third oldest in South Africa. This outlying settlement soon became a gateway to the interior, and was visited by many famous explorers. 
 
Because of this Swellendam is rich in Historic Buildings and Heritage Sites. Here are a few of the Historic Buildings in the vicinity of the Drostdy and the Swellendam Tourism office.

Buildings shown below

Show More

MUNICIPALITY

  

​Phone: + 27 (0) 28 514 8500


Fax: + 27 (0) 28 514 2694


Website: www.swellenmun.co.za

Located: 49 Voortrek St, Swellendam

Website by The Locals

© All rights reserved.

Old Boys School

The land on which this H-shaped house is situated was granted to Jacobus Wessel van Dijk in 1818. He was one of the well-known wainwrights of Swellendam and built the house round 1825. In 1839 Van Dijk sold the property and several Wainwrights owned the Type of site: School Previous use: School. The land was granted in 1818 to J W van Dyk, a wagonmaker who built the house in about 1825. There was a wagon-builder's workshop in the basement up to 1870. The building was then purchased for a school